Wednesday 23 October 2013

Gone Home - The Amnesia Edition

From time to time we get requests from people who want to license our HPL2 engine in order to make a commercial game. This is quite flattering, but the answer is always "no". Our reply is to simply state that there is no documentation, we do not have time for support and they are better off using Unity or UDK anyway. In all honesty, we also do not have any high hopes of these projects finishing at all. Choosing an engine is one of the very first decisions made when starting the development of a game, and very few games, especially indie ones, go beyond a pre-production phase.

So it came as quite a surprise for me when I learned that Steve Gaynor, one of the people behind the phenomenal Gone Home, had sent this sort of mail to us! I met him briefly at GDC this spring, and was quite amazed to hear that the very first prototype of the game was made in HPL2. He had mailed and asked if the engine would be possible to use for a commercial game, and got the usual response. Fortunately this did not discourage the team from continuing. It also seems like they took our advice since the final version of Gone Home is made in Unity. I really wanted to see the level, and told Steve that I would mail him when I got back from GDC. But as always other stuff happened and I just pushed the thing forward. I swear that I had "Mail Steve about Amnesia: Gone Home" written on my todo list for 6 months!

Then Steve mailed me for totally different reasons, and I decided I really had to get this Gone Home prototype over with. He scavenged his files and managed to dig out the map. This was during the whole SOMA teaser campaign and I did not have time to look right away. A few days ago things finally settled down a bit and it was time to take a look.

The prototype is quite short and very basic; it is really more of a proof of concept. But it still gives a very good sense of the game, and having played the full version, I could recognize quite a bit. It does feel a bit awkward to play an early test like this though. Gone Home is a very personal game, and playing this prototype felt like a meta version of the game's voyeuristic thematics.

We got Steve's mail regarding HPL2 engine on the 14th of January 2012 so this prototype must have been made before that. This means the prototype is over a year and half older than the final game and made almost 5 months before the game was announced. My guess it is the first time that the ideas for the game got some sort of substance.

Here is a few comparisons between the prototype and the final game. Prototype is on the right (as if you couldn't tell...):

The game opening is in the exact same place, on the porch of the house. There is even still a chair and small table with a pot next to the front door!

The first key is still found hidden under an ornament! I think this is a very neat puzzle as it explains to the player that it is worthwhile to do some extra scavenging and acts as a sort of unobtrusive tutorial. So it is not that incredible that it stuck so long. But still, very fun to see this intact.


And here is the first view when entering the house. It is not visible from the screen, but both versions have paths leading both to the left and to the  right, giving the player three different ways to start their exploration. Like the key puzzle, there are good reasons this stuck, but it is still awesome to see it this similar.

Taken together, the prototype is really incredibly close to the final game.

In case you are not amazed by the similarities in such an old prototype, check how Amnesia looked at the end of 2008 (a few months less than 2 years before release):


I also have to note the awesome handy work on this toilet:

If you want to try the level out yourself, you can download it from here:
http://unbirthgame.com/GoneHome.rar
Just extract the file in the "custom_stories" directory in Amnesia: The Dark Descent, start the game, press "Custom Story" and select and start "Test Game".

Finally, if you have not played Gone Home, do so now! It is a really unique and emotional experience that is a must for anybody interesting in videogame storytelling. You can get it here:
http://www.gonehomegame.com/

Lots of thanks for Steve Gaynor for saving this lovely slice of history and letting me (and all of you now) try it out!


11 comments:

  1. Cool! I finally got around to playing Gone Home yesterday, it's half off for steam's midweek madness. The whole time I was thinking, "Geez, this looks so much like HPL2 but it can't possibly be." Good to know my hunch was not unfounded :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Gone Home is about going through people's old stuff. Playing the prototype is going through old stuff, where the old stuff happen to be a game where you go through old stuff. META!!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta

      Delete
  3. Hah! Surprising! And also, not totally surprising, given the gameplay involved. Also slightly gratifying in a strange way, since Gone Home was such a great experience & Hpl2 such a great engine for that style.

    It's a shame they didn't implement similar controls for doors & drawers etc in the final game but it makes sense, given the time they had, and it definitely didn't need it. They made a great choice with Unity too, to be sure, its a great engine to work with, or at least, it's a great engine to code with, compared to UDK. A little lighter on the visual side of things but, you can get a lot more done for the time involved

    So... presumably... this doesn't in any way affect your standard 'No' response to license requests? (that's rhetorical btw, I can guess the answer pretty well I think :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really cool, definetly worth checking out! I'll get on it when... I have time for it ;)

    Onto a completely different question: have you played The Stanley Parable, Thomas? I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments on it, since it's one of the more bizare, and yet unique and incredibly enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a long time! I'm sure a lot of people who played it will agree with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Thomas, you once mentioned a paper regarding the development of the HPL-engine, did you find that one? Id love to read it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will see if I can find. I think it is on an old drive in my cellar.

      Delete
  6. We want a tech post, we want a tech post! :D
    We want a tech post, we want a tech post! :D
    We want a tech post, we want a tech post! :D
    We want a tech post, we want a tech post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you may want to try this free browser game where you have to steal a list of items from someones home, it only takes 5-10 minutes and i thought it was surprisingly good at creating tension, it also seems like a pretty original concept. Its called The Very Organized Thief. http://gamejolt.com/games/puzzle/the-very-organized-thief/18991/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas,
    My name is Elena Erofeeva and I had worked previously on game localization projects.
    Originally, I contacted Frictional through the company website regarding couple of moments that gone amiss in Russian translation for the Amnesia: Machine for Pigs. Jens replied, but, rather unwisely, I deleted his reply by mistake before I had a chance to write a second email.
    If you could help me to contact him again (or anyone who would be interested in giving me a bit of their time in regards to this), please consider using this address for me:
    elener_82@yahoo.com
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    E.E.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.